Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Library 2.0

Just like any new version of computer software which comes down the pike, I have some trouble with Library 2.0 and its concepts. The way we provide information, store information and communicate information has changed dramatically in the 30 years I have worked in libraries--and continues to change at a very rapid pace. New technology provides tremendous opportunities, but it my mind, it doesn't always provide neat and easy solutions. At my library, which serves a population above the national average age, I see many seniors scrambling to keep up with the learning curve of e-mail, text-messaging and information provided for them online rather than in print format. Sometimes, posting information online, feels like a copout for the information provider.
Though I understand the concept of social networking providing a "sort" of checks and balances for information on the Web, I continue to find inaccurate, outdated and questionable information from web sources. People used to say, "Just because it is in a book doesn't mean it is true." I might say now, "Just because you can Google the information doesn't mean it is accurate.!" I still feel very strongly that some checks and balances for information accuracy are being lost....Perhaps I still want to be a gatekeeper for information. Perhaps we still need, in some way, shape or form, gatekeepers for information.

Mavis of Ramsey on Wednesday afternoon

No comments: